Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cash/Vouchers or Gifts?

We have just returned from a quick trip into town ... mail and milk mainly.  Enroute a storm that blew up from nowhere threatened, but by passed us.  Forks of lightning struck earthwards with loud thunderclaps almost deafening the eardrums.  By the look of it, most was out at sea, though the streets in town were running water ... a welcome coolness to an otherwise hot day.

The small supermarket was busy, queues formed at four checkouts.  As is often the case in a small town, queues give reason for a chat and a laugh.  The Post Office can be the source of  'the laugh of the day'!

The lass serving me appeared less animated than usual; normally she is bright and cheery.  An observant customer enquired as to how she enjoyed Christmas.  The reply was half-hearted, which aroused the attention of the rest of the queue.

Being naturally curious I made a comment to bring forth more information.  She took the hint; her reply was illuminating.

She received lots of money and vouchers, but she loves to open a parcel. 
This comment gave me reason to ponder on the journey home.  I had sent vouchers [to those who in the past were unimpressed with my chosen gift ... teenagers!], and in the process saved considerably on postage.  I much prefer to spend on the person than the Post Office, in spite of the fact it can be a source of considerable amusement.

We received vouchers ... overall for a considerable sum.  At the moment I have no brilliant ideas as to what these vouchers can be exchanged for!

I have frequently heard parents of children, some as young as five or six, who gave the children a voucher to spend on the Boxing Day sales; sales I avoid!  We hear that the spirit of Christmas is money oriented; the true reason for the season lost in the whirring of check-out tills.  That a young woman, not long turned 21, prefers a parcel to open than money or vouchers sounded a timely warning to my 'gift giving' next year.

3 comments:

  1. I received a few cash presents but I think I prefer the gift vouchers especially when they 'mean' something like a voucher for the local fabric shop as the giver isn't sure if I need/want fabric, cotton, braid etc or a music shop voucher as they're not sure which DVD I'd want the most out of half a dozen I like. It just means the person has given thought to what I'd like.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son finally has an address to send parcels and letters to - after 2 years of being unable to do so, I am enjoying finding silly things to send out to remind him of home. the last was an inflatable seagull! I'm sure his girlfriend thinks I am mad!
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is the adage"it is the thought that counts". I try that but when you have really fussy people it gets very stressful,and it should n't be. Supposed to be joyful to give.:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome