Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ahh Tissue

Before anyone wonders, no I do not have a cold ... thank goodness. 

Recently while doing the washing my attention was drawn to little pieces of paper wafting around in the bowl of the washing machine!  Tissues!!  And no, I do not use tissues, much preferring to use the good old fashioned, though according to those who know, full of germ handkerchiefs.

Significant Other prefers tissues, and I prefer not to go through his pockets before starting a wash day; hence tissues floating amongst the soap suds.

Of course there is a quick remedy, and living in the country where water soaks away quickly [we live on sand ... but not of the beach variety], and where creatures and the elements dispose of waste paper, all I need do is whisk the now soaked tissues out of the water and throw them out the back door, which is always open on wash day.  That little pieces hang onto clothes is but another distraction, but at ironing time I have a special little contraption that neatly brushes lint etc and it adheres to the 'brush'.

That my patience becomes a little frayed is another tale!

However, such disturbances give one time to contemplate the advent of the tissue as a replacement to the handkerchief.  I am not sure when the changeover began; I have an idea there was no specific date as in GST, or going digital.  It kinda evolved!

I do recall having a handkerchief safety-pinned to my jumper in my early school days, but after noticing how 'gross' it was, soon insisted I was a big girl, and big girls wore their handkerchief tucked up their cardigan sleeve ... out of sight until needed.  Some poor girls [where did boys carry handerchiefs?  did they not have them at all!?] didn't even have a handkerchief; instead a large piece of rag adorned their front.

Over the years I have owned, and used, many many handkerchiefs.  Some were floral, most were colourful, some were utilitarian in plain colours; some, and these were for Sunday Best were white lawn delicately embroidered.  They were always ironed ... killed any germs after washing, though back in the olden days a hot water wash, or even a dip in the copper, managed to attack unwanted germs.

When heavy colds were 'on the rounds' and school too exciting to miss, which was most of the time, a man's handkerchief was pushed up a sleeve.  Oh yes, it was bulky, but the advantages of using a dry corner.

Handkerchiefs were a handy present; pretty boxes to keep them in were in great demand.

Now tissues float in the washing machine; tissues are thrown away, with their encumbent germs; and yes no doubt tissues are more hygenic ... if only they didn't mess up the rest of the washing!! 

And in case you are left wondering ... I do use handkerchiefs, though if a heavy cold has managed to catch me, a tissue is the preferred option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome