Thursday, June 19, 2014

Kangaroo

The kangaroo family/mob [had to look up the collective noun for these animals!] have once again been grazing on the green grass across the road.  I grabbed the camera, which does not have telescopic lens ... unfortunately ... but I did wind the view finder to its best view, sneaked across the road trying to walk quietly on the gravel.  My quarry was in sight!  However he [or she] had excellent hearing and stood up listening.  I managed a couple of photos before it bounded away beyond my picture taking distance.
 
 
The best photo I cropped, but you will see the distinctive shape and colour of a  red kangaroo which are the most common in this area.

The white blobs are melons that grow wild and prolifically and over which I wage a continual war.  I must add that our place does not have melons ... they are pulled out at the 'poking head through the soil' stage!

6 comments:

  1. It is interesting why the kangooroo came for the first time now.where they were before? what made them come so close to your house? wish we have kangooroo here:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a rural environment and there are always kangaroos around, but we do not see them often. In summer the grass is non-existent being all brown and dried up. Over the past month or so we have had rain that turns that brown dry 'grass' into lush green food for kangaroos and other animals. Often we see kangaroos bounding across the roads, and too often we see them lying dead on the road having been hit by vehicles. Kangaroos are relatively common in rural Australia and are a native animal.

      Delete
  2. We have so many roos around us. I do love watching them bounding around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see a kangaroo in the wild - and a melon, come to that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful having kangaroos around. What type of melons are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shalom Shirlwin, nice to meet you through Yael.
    I lived in the kangaroos' backyard for a month when I volunteered with the Good Samaritan Donkey Sanctuary in NSW. They are such fun to watch.

    My daughter and her family live in Bondi.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome