Sunday, May 29, 2011

Busy Sunday

It appears that Blogger is still experiencing problems!  After signing in I go straight to the dashboard, but should I try to view my blog ... I need to sign in!!  After already doing that.  Ah well ... at least I can post.

The weather is supposed to pack up, which for farmers means it will improve giving much needed rain to aid germination of their crops.  To the rest of us, a little rain is welcome; a storm we can do without.  Though often a forecast storm fails to eventuate.

This morning The Other Half and I had a working bee.  I have been promising myself to tackle the litter for days, and with the prospect of strong winds, decided today might be the day.  Gum trees are native to Australia; the perfume of eucalypt permeates the countryside.  Gums grow to the left of us; gum trees grow to the right of us; they grow above us, and their falling leaves litter the ground.  They give a welcome shade in the heat of summer, but those leaves on the ground!!  They create a constant task of clearing, of raking up, and disposing off on the soon-to-be bonfire.

I raked and wheelbarrowed in my red wheelbarrow, ten loads of bark and leaves.



The Other Half added to the ever increasing woodstack.  A chain saw is essential to reduce to firewood the fallen limbs, from the aforesaid gums ... they tend to fall over in a strong wind, especially if that wind is followed by rain.  Every fallen branch is dragged to the wood cutting area, and gradually it finds itself cut into manageable sizes for winter warmth.  Once cut the smaller pieces are tossed onto a pile, while the larger pieces, those that will burn for a hour or two, are carefully stacked onto the base of what was originally a bed

Let winter arrive!  We are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome