Friday, May 27, 2011

Peaceful afternoon

This is the best time of year in the mid-west of Western Australia!  The terrible heat of summer has dissipated, the sun still shines much of the day and the breeze today was negligible.
 
As I sat in my armchair, stitching, [rocking chair just isn't 'stable' enough for stitiching!] and listened to the birds wheeling and circling my mind wandered ... as it does when one is content.
Radio talkbacks over recent days have centered upon childhood [and politics, though I choose to switch my ears of for much of that topic ... too depressing ... too confrontational].  The experts suggest that today's children are over protected; mollycoddled is the word I would have used.  I think the experts just may be correct in their analysis.

I remember a childhood of living in the country, near a swift flowing river, paddocks to wander over, a bike to take me on 'explorations', of gazing up into the night sky for a glimpse of the first satellite into space [OK that gives my age away within a decade].  All exciting events.  Fishing with my Dad, watching my Mum bake and being given the privilege of  'jamming' Shrewsbury biscuits together, or carefully sprinkling red jelly crystals on Belgium biscuits.  Eating them was important as well!  We didn't sit around waiting to be entertained; we made our own entertainment.

My brother and I played Dentists, as we had a gnarled old cherry plum tree in the garden.  This tree grew small spikes that we transposed into the dentist's drill.  No crying allowed!
We dressed up.  Around age 7 I remember tottering in a pair of my Mum's high heels, an old hat carefully perched on my hair, knocking on the door, and pretending to be an important visitor.  I was invited inside for a glass of cordial [I didn't know fizzy drink existed], and a cake.

All these thoughts tumbled through my mind as I stitched ... I suppose I have always been a dreamer, but it is preferable to being a worrier.

1 comment:

  1. We had TV but chose mostly to watch it on weekends hiding under blankets as Bela Lugosi played Dracula in a B & W movie. Then we had to watch it to the end to see the vampire destroyed so we could sleep! We were about 10 and 12. Through the day I rode my pony and my brother rode his bike and we explored the surrounding bush, swam or fished in the nearby creek, made ramps and jumps for bike or pony from poles and palings and dared eachother to jump them and we knew every self sown fruit tree in the area in case we were hungry! Lol, no wonder my mum had grey hair early as she only saw us at breakfast and tea time in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome