Monday, January 30, 2012

The Family

The days following the storm showed no sign of the tawny-owl family.  Had the storm tossed them from their precarious perch, or were they elsewhere?  Each day I did a tour of the places one could expect to find the family.  No luck! 

Then, this morning after a search of the usual places, I found the tawny-owl family, perched low on a branch behind the laundry.  This place was popular last year, and only once ... two weeks ago, had they spent their day there.  At that time I captured a lovely photo.  Mum and Dad guard their offpspring who I have named Bambino.  Bambino is still learning to be a bird; he often forgets he is supposed to look like a piece of stick; he is just a child, curious as any child.

I raced indoors, grabbed the camera and took a photo.  Bambino was very curious!  He leaned forward that much I worried he would topple over and fall flat on his face to the ground.  Bambino's curiousity was rewarded ... I took a second photo!  He appeared fascinated with the blue/green camera held up in front of me pointing at the bird family. 
Today I didn't bother with another photo; I had a lovely one. 

When Significant Other came back from turning off the water pump, detouring past the gum tree where the tawny owl family sat.  Bambino knew that another was there; remembered he was a bird and sat like a piece of stick.  When I wandered over and began speaking to him curiousity once again overcame him ... he peered downwards, his eyes wide open.  This little 'play' brought home just how much these birds take in ... I, who speak to them daily, am safe, S.O. who seldom goes to speak to them, is a stranger.  There is so much to learn by observation.

2 comments:

  1. Good observation and wonderful pics. They are so regal looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great discovery - (and photo) I too, talk to all creatures when I meet them. It always surprises me how they respond to a gentle voice.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome