Sunday, April 7, 2013

hot or cross?

Easter has been and gone.  It is rather sad that the meaning of Easter has been lost in the great egg/rabbit/chocolate 'buy-up'.  Our radio station had some lovely coverage at Easter; many folk phoned in with their version of some Easter traditions. 
 
Of course hot cross buns were mentioned.  Now I love hot cross buns ... at Easter, not from Boxing Day until Easter.  I got to thinking [it has been known to happen] as to how hot cross buns came about.  I know about the cross, but ... is it a 'hot cross' bun, or a hot 'cross bun'?  We had quite a discussion about that little conundrum, and as happens when folk have time on their hands, the discussion enlarged to the emphasis put on phrases, and how the meaning is altered.
 
Over the years my old adversary, Meniere's, visits without invitation; and recently decided to invade my head space.  I place some blame onto the air flight in February, but when suddenly, on Thursday, my head did a flip, dizzily dancing around to the stage where I thought I would fall to the ground, Significant Other took me to outpatients.  A girl of wisdom years cannot be too careful!  Blood pressure = OK, ECG = OK, pulse = still working, so the concensus was 'Meniere's, and medication prescribed. 
 
A couple of days of lethargy and sleep leave me feeling slightly improved today, but while the symptons resembled previous attacks, I have a feeling that somewhere along the way I may have been in contact with a viral infection as well.  Once one is on the mend, there is only one way to travel ... up!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you haven't been well, Shirley. I have a friend who suffers from Meniere's and it can make her life miserable at times.

    I so agree with you about the dilution of the meaning of Easter by chocolate bunnies and all the rest. One advantage of being snowed-in was missing the relentless consumer pressure in the shops.

    Lastly I think they are hot 'cross buns' as they always taste best while still arm from the oven. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome