Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Simple but pretty

When I first came to the mid-west the sand that passed as soil astounded me.  In N.Z. I had been used to fertile soil that grew wonderful vegetables and flowers, if one planted plants that like a cooler climate. 
 
My first foray into making a flower garden here was an abject failure.  Plants purchased failed during the long hot dry summer.  We obtain our water from a bore, admittedly it has good water, but needs to be pumped [by electricity] to a holding tank.  Watering flowers seemed an expensive waste of water.
 
The following year I purchased more plants; another failure.  When 'moaning' about my lack of gardening abilities in the local newsagents I was surprised to hear that this was a common complaint.  The only way was to plant flowers that needed little water and could withstand weeks of temperatures in the high 30's to low 40's.  Lesson learned!
 
Next year I purchased a packet of nasturtium seed; planted a couple of the old fashioned geranium that grows anywhere, and was the lucky recipient of a rosemary bush and an agave.  These form the backbone of my 'garden' such as it is.  Vegetables are cheaper bought at the supermarket.
 
Each year in winter I plant a few seedlings ... petunias, pansies that sometimes do well and sometimes do not, stock that invariably is a single stock despite the punnet assuring they are doubles.
 
The nasturtiums from that initial planting seed year after year and make a colourful display; needing no attention and thriving with the occasional rain storm.
 
I love their brightness, their adaptability, and the ability to grow year after year.

3 comments:

  1. I could write this post:) I have the same experience with gardening here in our hot weather. And the flowers we cold them ' the monk's hat". I like them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to adapt our gardening to different circumstances isn't easy. I'm glad you found flowers that would thrive and not need too much care and precious water. Nasturtiums are edible too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I was at the nursery buying nasturtiums today!i remember a book when I was young about a boy who thought his roof was on fire,but it turned out being nasturtiums grown over the roof. I love them
    Hi!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome