Sunday, January 4, 2015

A New Year has begun

Our small town holds a Market Day the first Saturday of each month with a variety of interesting stalls.  Cakes, apple pie [a must!], pickles, plants, books, DVD's, jewellery, crystals, and many other bits and pieces that make for curious browsing.
 
We are regulars to visit the Markets, and I find the mix of stall holders fascinating.  Some sit at the back of their gazebo tent watching the passing parade, others wander amongst their product which makes me wonder if they are expecting the public to not only look, but to take when the stall holders eyes are turned.
 
Not far from where we park is Mr Toolman who has spades, drills and bits, screwdrivers, you name it he has it, while Mrs Toolman has interesting crockery and nick knacks.  I try to not look there too long as I have a perchance for crockery, buying teapots [and seldom drink tea] just because they are interesting. 
 
Mr and Mrs Toolman have a dog, a gorgeous big eyed King Charles Cavalier who enjoys do-nuts for breakfast, and who relishes the attention of passers-by.  Needless to say this stall is always my first port of call ... and the obligatory pat of the dog is all important.
 
After wishing Mr and Mrs Toolman Happy New Year I wandered close to the little dog who views the passing parade from the comfort of a deck chair.  Once I was close to the dog I wished him a Happy New Year [one must spread a little cheer if possible] and yesterday those three little words had a profound effect!
 
Little dog smiled at me, no, not smiled, he grinned.  Such a simple appreciation of a few words of greeting brought a smile to my face for the rest of the day.  I guess if there is any one thing to take from this posting it could be ... pay attention to the little things in life as they often bring the most joy.

4 comments:

  1. It is so true Shirley, that what I try to remember all the time and forget from time to time. As to tea pot- I just wondered why I bought in Denemark 40 years ago a tea pot that i never used. I just liked it and brought it home after 3 monthe trip all over Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like looking at Flowers. They are so beautiful and really make you appreciate all you have

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the little things, Shirley. I too love markets and have to restrain myself from buying too many of the useful or pretty things on offer. :-) Our son and his family have a a gorgeous little Cavalier King Charles spaniel and I know what you mean about the smile...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome